Monday, December 10, 2007

What keeps me busy

I've been getting quite a few questions about what I am up to, so I thought I should let you all know what occupies the bulk of my time outside the campaign.

1. I am the regional manager for the Fraser Valley for the Rock Solid Business Development Program. We help small and medium businesses develop core business management skills to build solid, dependable enterprises that form the economic core of healthy communities. Part of what makes Langley a great place to live is it's economic success. Healthy businesses of all sizes are what allows us to afford good health care, child care programs, education systems, infrastructure projects and everything else that goes into making Canada one of the best countries in the world to live.

2. I'm a founding partner of Econic, an online retailer of low carbon impact products. Our mission is to help savvy customers find products that have lower carbon impacts than current alternatives, yet fit with our western lifestyles. There are a lot of products out there claiming to do this, but we are cutting through the chaff to find the products that actually make a difference. Consumers want to make a difference, are willing to pay a little extra to make that difference, but are having a tough time navigating through the marketing. We're trying to be the compass. The government is not taking action to reduce our carbon impact, so we are trying to take things in our own hands.

3. I'm studying to take the Project Management Professional designation exam. It's a bear of a test that barring an election, I will be taking in February. My mom keeps telling me that you can never have enough education, and you can never brush you teeth enough.

4. I'm trying to learn how to swim better. I'm going to enter a triathlon this spring, but my swimming is not good enough. If anyone uses the Walnut Grove Community Center and would like to give me some constructive criticism, let me know when you are free and I'll meet you there.

5. I try to keep up to date on all the going's on in the community, but it is hard. There are so many people doing many great things in Langley, that it becomes impossible to keep up with all of the great work. Go Langley!

6. I post to the intarweb. I'm getting used to the semi regular writing regime, however I have no idea if the people who read this enjoy it. I can tell I am getting hits, but I have yet to generate many comments. Perhaps I should be more controversial?

By the way I am going to start documenting the discussions we have in our Electoral District Association meetings. They can get quite heated and lively, and I humbly think our little group are some of the better informed folks out there. I hope it will generate just as heated discussion on here.

Jake

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be more controversial, this stuff is very mild almost bland in some posts. Sorry for the criticism but you could do much better.