Friday, November 25, 2011

No luck at Aircare today. I went through three times, never failed, but I also never passed. It seems that my gas tank has a lot of loose fine rust dust in it. I put 20 litres of clean new gas in this morning, but by the time I drove to Aircare, the fuel filter was plugged and the tech couldn't keep the speed up for the test without the Rover stalling. I managed to drive home (very slowly). I bought a new filter, put it on, and drove back. Same issue. Drives great on the way there, stalls on the rollers due to a plugged filter. I had a spare, so I swapped that in and drove home. Next chance I get I'll drain the tank, fill it with new gas and head back to Aircare with the 4 spare filters I bought on the way home. On the plus side it drives quite nice when the filter isn't plugged.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

3 Phase Power

I've been thinking about 3 phase power for the shop today. Last night I saw a nice 3 phase plasma cutter on Craigslist, but like most normal people I don't have three phase power in the shop. As it is going to be a while before I get back to the electric car project, I've been thinking I can use the inverter to make a phase converter. It will basically be a variable frequency drive with a single phase input and a fixed 60 hz output. I think I have everything I need except a couple of contactors, relays to get from the sanguino output to the coil input on the contactors, and some power resistors to use as precharge load. More thoughts to follow.


Heading to Aircare tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Latest in Gargamol's series of Robots. I love it!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011


Fuel tank installed with new fuel pump and bypass regulator. Syncro fixed, cleaned out transmission and put in cheapo gear oil for now. Brake lights wired, Brakes rebled, still goes too far. Read a different way to adjust them. Will try next week. This weekend is fully booked with Vancouver Civic Election and East Side Culture Crawl.

To do
Make front bumper
Look awesome driving my sweet series 1

Monday, November 7, 2011


Work done on Rover:

Swapped distributor and coil with an electronic version from SimonBBC. Lots of fiddling with the carb. It was back firing on attempting to accelerate. Later swapped all the plug wires and rewired the coil with a relay straight from the battery. No more back firing.

Brakes are in and plumbed. They work, but need two pumps to get anything. I will be rebleeding the brakes this weekend.

Next on the list is it doesn't shift into 3rd or 4th. I hear this is do to synchro clips either being out of place or disintegrated. Hopefully the synchro itself isn't damaged. Peter from 3 Brothers Classic Rovers has sent me a few spare clips. I was up at Rocky Mountain Parabolics and they has a spare synchro for me to look at. I think I understand what I have to do.

Other item to work on is the fuel tank. Right now it run out of a jerry can. May get the tank in this weekend. Goal is drive-able by Christmas.