Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Shopping List

So here is the list of parts I'm trying to scavenge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  1. Motor, 30 to 40 Hp 1800 or 3600 RPM TEFC, any frame size. Burnt out is okay as I will likely have to rewind it anyway.
  2. IGBTs. Need 3. Looking for at least 600V, 200 to 300 amp. I'll likely find these on Ebay.
  3. Firing Cards. The sanguino only outputs 5V at low current, so will need to step this up to fire the IGBTs. I'll likely buy the PWM cards from the Reprap store.
  4. Current Shunt. I need to measure somewhere up to 200 to 300 amps. These are available pretty cheap on Ebay.
  5. Encoder - already have one from BEI coming from Ebay. I've used these with great success in industrial applications. However the unit I won is a 1000 pulse per revolution, which may be too many pulses per second.
  6. Busbar - This stuff is expensive, but I will try and find some from my favorite used electrical guys at ACNelson. If not I will flatten some copper pipe.
  7. Fuses - I'd like to include low voltage control fuses and a high voltage high amp high speed semiconductor fuse on the DC bus. I think this might be one place I buy new.
  8. DC Contactors - I'd like to use two or three single pole contactors in series in the pack such that when the car is off, or any thing bad happens, all the contactors drop out, reducing the total voltage anywhere in the pack. And one big two pole contactor for the main contactor. Not sure where I am going to find these.
  9. Circuit Breaker - I need a 400V 200A breaker. Still looking for a solution.
  10. Throttle - need a beefy industrial potentiometer to be used for the throttle. Will be doing some sort of regen as well, but not yet sure if I will do this off the brake pedal.
That's it to start.

2 comments:

M. Simon said...

A commercial product you might be interested in:

AC Propulsion

They run their motors at around 20 KHz max.

It might give you some ideas.

Jake Gray said...

Thanks for the info. I've been watching AC propulsion for a long time. I think you must be referring to the PWM frequency on the inverter. 20 kHz would be about right. I would be looking for a sin wave output of 0 to about 120 hz, with a PWM frequency of at least 10kHz. The AC Propulsion system is nice, but I'm really going for the DIY aspect with this project. You're not the M Simon from Power and Control and the Polywell forum are you?